Jul 24, 2017

1pq Remastered

Brood War will be receiving an influx of fresh new players soon. It's time to get excited! Already pre-ordered so now all there is to do is to sit and wait for my glorious hotkeys and fair ladder (the new graphics will be nice too I guess).

I've been prepping myself a bit by playing on the fish server. I must say the experience was nice, though still frustrating. There are a shit load of Koreans around my skill level and things can get heated. The most frustrating of all is still TvP. I've learned how to sim city my base in order to  maneuver marines between buildings so I can more easily take care of early zealots... LIKE THE PROS, but I've yet to handle them well. Results left me to believe that it's not MY fault, but my mouse's. With google fu I've found out about DPI and how 400-800 is probably best for good micro management. My mouse was set to 1600 DPI thinking I could be accurate enough with a quickness bonus. I don't think it helped me as much as I thought looking back. I couldn't even split my first few workers well at the start of the game. I lowered my DPI to 800 and I can split MUCH better now. Hopefully I can do a bit better against early zealot aggression with this setting.

Also a more precise mouse click will help a lot with clicking the minimap. You've really got to work well with the minimap to win games.

A downside to lowering my DPI to 800 is screen scrolling being a touch more difficult. It will take some getting used to but I can manage. I can't lower it any more because I don't have enough space on my desk to place a big mousepad.

Gameplay-wise, I'm trying to shift my goal from always aggression to area control. This mentality has helped calm my impatient nerves wanting to finish the game quick.

TvZ is still fun. Making a smooth mech switch into the late game remains a fantasy of mine. Reading 2 base hatchery and properly defending the earlier lurkers and mutas is still something I need to work on. Just have to keep in mind that my economy will be ahead if I fend it off properly.

TvT is a cluster fuck as always. Slowly learning more and more about it with area control and counters. If you fuck up getting sufficient map control in the early game you're pretty fucked.

TvP 2 base pushes are ugly. It's hard to determine when the best moment is to siege. Experience will help.

                     † May we worker split with grace †

No comments: