Jan 23, 2009

Don't play with Noobs

I've played two 2v2 games with a funny and interesting guy the other day. We had a lot in common with our thoughts about starcraft and the terran race. We both used them because it seemed the toughest to learn, TvP is the most interesting gametype and his APM is like my self 6 months ago (He was even good at halo 3 like I).

We started to play 2v2, all players were terran, and... he .. only made ... wraiths.. THE WHOLE GAME. I figure it's a good idea to go fast wraiths to catch them off guard, but after the first attack they are useless because the opponent would be ready. Not only did he only make wraiths but he couldn't kill 6 tanks packed together outside of his main. I think he made not one dropship. I think he lied to me when he said his APM was 70-80 because his avg. for the game was around 50.

I found this game to be interesting because at one point, I could tell my partner was going to make it a loss. When the time came where I knew we were heading up shit creek, I suddenly became really hot in the cheeks. I thought he would be better than that! So I gave it a second try with him as protoss. He didn't do well at all. I was attacked by lings and he could have retaliated with his 5 zeolots but he waited and asked me 'Well um... when are we going to attack?' He didn't have any idea of when to do things. I knew he was a bad partner because the opponent almost always goes after the weakest link.

My ally has 5 zeolots that could have taken this guy out easily.

I remember the olden days I was ALWAYS the ally that nobody wanted to be with (low money maps). Now, I'm thinking the same thing about others. I didn't play with this person any more. I probably would have played with him if he wanted to practice a little but... he didn't.

2 comments:

Fafner said...

I think you are being a bit unfair to your ally. 2v2 is a very different game than 1v1. All-out rush is really the norm and if one in a team techs, fast expands or hesitate, then you probably loose to a team that does not.

In the game you put up for download, your opponents could easily have forced their way up either your or your allys ramp. Luckily for you they did not coordinate any better than you did.

In a team game with a terran and a protoss, the terran basically have to handle any zerg opponent that there might be. And that means mass m&m.

Michael said...

Yeah you're right, I am not very familiar with 2v2's. I was just bitter because he didn't want to practice or talk about a strategy.