Jan 13, 2009

Makin' Progress

I've gotten better at knowing how to play (at least against the protoss). I'm now using much less time following my army and gathering resources all while putting pressure. For a while, I was trying to add my army to a hotkey just as they got out of their buildings, but now I see I don't need to hotkey unless I'm pushing out to their base, or if I want to put on a little pressure with vultures. There's no reason to hotkey much if you're going to sit in one spot, or if it's too much of a hassle. When controlling your army has as little screen time as possible you have time for other things.

The first thing I do in a game is to hit 'shift+tab' so it's more apparent when an enemy is on the mini-map. The red highlight makes the enemy easier to spot off the corner of your eye, and when you see enemy red, immediately shift to your units in case you are being attacked. I've been practicing my macro against the computer and it's all getting better, little by little. I would point out that my APM is higher than normal, but I won't for two reasons: 1. The last few replays have me at a lower APM, but the average for the game is lowered mainly because of the last 5-10 minutes, I stay even though I obviously won or loss. 2. Because apm doesn't really say shit about if you're getting better, you need only to do the right things at the right time, as quickly as possible. Right now I'm learning to do the right things at the right time, apm is sure to go up as I play.

I know better how to defend against protoss early builds after I scout their base, whether they expo, tech or double gate. That's progress.

No comments: