Jan 11, 2009

Couldn't Resist

I managed to uninstall Starcraft: Brood War, but became surprised at my inability to delete the other Starcraft programs. About two or three weeks after uninstalling, I contemplate over the game and figure that I would still find the UMS game 'Dodge The Rapist' quite amusing whenever I get bored. I reinstalled. I didn't have any interest in playing Low Money Maps, so I played Dodge The Rapist and observed a few games. I guess it wasn't the end after all.

Then the even more unexpected happened. I was drugged last sunday. One effect of this drug is the loss of short term memory, but this effect doesn't last forever. I still feel the effects of it this very moment, so I'm hoping drinking lots of water will flush it from my body. I must say, playing starcraft is more difficult when you're impaired. More so on Low Money maps because you have to remember where you leave your units and how many you have. I would not have played if not for Tom Phoenix showing up on MSN messenger. I wanted to help him out a bit so we got a game in. As I played, the weighing of my army and his is barely calculated. But he's still fairly new to the game so it wasn't an even battle. I would put learning the hotkeys as top priority for him. Here's the replay with us two - If you can give him a few tips, leave him a message on his blog. But don't overburden him at this stage, just mention the most important things.

Then, while in the Terran Strategy channel, I meet Stryxis and he convinces me to play him. It was quite an interesting game and was very tiring to play in this condition. I definitely had the upper hand at a time but completely blanked out on how to handle my advantage. One arbitor was my downfall (and I completely forgot my scv was right there) Check out the replay. You can see me struggling with my short term memory impairment... sorry if it annoys you.


(Click the picture for a better view)
I'm definitely going to play this guy again.

I played Fafner yesterday, and I was very well looking forward to it. Halfway through the game I was thinking, "This guy is harder to play than I thought he'd be". It was also a funny game because I had 3000 minerals at one point. Not good. Lots of mistakes were made between the both of us.

Edit: Some of the drug has escaped from my body and I watched the replay again. At one point I tried to use some vulture pressure on him. But I ran right into his goons and didn't realize I was getting killed until 4 of them died. Then, with the last four I had, I guess I was stupid to think he wouldn't expect it from the front, for some strange reason I didn't think of going around to the left to kill some workers.

Then when I sent two dropships outside his main, I thought I would try an attack and drop soon after I attack. I don't know how I thought of this strategy in my condition but it worked better than I thought. I didn't even see his worker that definitely caught me.

But I pursued with a frontal attack and he sloppily tried to defend himself. He sent too many units to protect his main's minerals and, fortunately, his units were all over the place. And I picked them off a few at a time. If you look at the first picture of me and Fafner, my drop was successful as he moved all his defending units away and brought back some workers. I remember as I was playing I thought I was killing about 15 of them, but I see now it was only about 5. But I killed a few more of his workers at his third expo. He gave what seemed like his big chance to take me out, but he didn't group all of his units like he should have, not using them to the fullest. And didn't put more workers on his main's minefield.

He could have easily beaten me if he made more gateways and sent a buttload of zeolots. I'm guessing he was distracted a lot from making what he should have been making. Maybe not even distracted, but paying too much attention to one thing (or the wrong things) in his multitasking. Heres the replay. I'd like a rematch sometime.

No comments: