Oct 4, 2008

Two on the House

I just finished playing two games on iCCup. They both were tough, both were losses. The first was on a map I've never played before so I was already in for an ass whooping. The guy sent 3 or four zealots into my base as soon as he could and gave me somewhat trouble. It was a strange map because there was a narrow gap that only workers could pass, until the two buildings were destroyed. Then, nothing could get through, so I had to resort to drop ships. I had no expansion and he did. Took no time at all to fall behind. Then, he made about 6 carriers and destroyed my expo when I finally got enough to push out against his goons and zeolots. I ran out of minerals quite quickly once my expo was lost. My APM must have been real low and I'm just going to block that game out of my mind.

Before the second game began, I practiced my hotkeys on a UMS (Use Map Settings) map so I could build my APM up. Then I began to play against a zerg player. It lasted almost 16 minutes. He expoed and sent about 6 zerglings into my base. I fended it off and he tried to send about 13 a bit later. I killed him off and expoed soon after. I began my academy building really late. My APM for the game was 107; his was 131. It wasn't exactly a great difference in APM but I could do better. I slipped up for a moment by letting 5 of my units die before being KOed. I must have tried to hotkey a scv to go toward his units but sent a hotkey group.


Above you can see the last two of the six zerglings he sent to my base. I defended well using scvs and marines. But I didn't start a new command center or a academy. I'm at 23/26 units. His few units got my full attention. I need to work on doing other things when I've fended off a few units.Soon after, he sent 12 zerglings to me to put on pressure. I'm thinking he either wanted to stop an expo or really thought I didn't have much. If he was trying to end it quick, he failed. I still have no academy here.
After a pathetic muta harass on my minerals he went on to make about 7 lurkers. I've tried to do what I can but obviously didn't have enough to take the lurkers out. I ran away with my few marines with nothing to stop his lifted lurkers from going into my base.This is the point I began to officially lose. I had nothing in the bunkers and just a few marines and tanks. GG

I've got to remember to make my academy at about 23-24 unit supply. Once I get my medics and a few firebats, I should begin making tanks and vessels, scan whatever units he has, try to drop when I have enough and be able to fend off 12 lurkers. I'm thinking a ratio of 1 to 8, tanks to marines, is a good idea to try. Then, make vessels whenever the starport is open. If I see lurkers coming, I'll make three or four bunkers, fill them up and try to drop some marines before I begin to push. All the while making more units, defending and cleaning up my base.

6 comments:

Fafner said...

Cute battle report. Please post some of the replays too! It is easier to comment on games if you have actually seen it.

Michael said...

haha You leaving a comment was sort of unexpected. but thanks for the idea to make a blog like this! It won't be nearly as interesting though.

I'll be sure to leave a replay soon.

Michael said...

*as interesting as yours*

Fafner said...

Well, keep it up anyway :)

I watched the replay you uploaded. It was fun.

Your opponent is not very good and extremly late in everything he does. I think your nices move is when you block your entrance with scvs.

I can see you have a higher APM than I, but on the other hand you rarely use the hotkeys you have assigned to you barracks.

When playing a Zerg you can be almost certain that he will either go fast spire or fast lurkers. In the last case you have to make sure that you contain him, rather than he contains you. Moving out at the 11 minute mark (as you do) is too late.

When dealing with mutalisk you usually have to survive his first attack, before you can move out. If I suspected mutalisk (or even better: had scouted his spire) I would place my marines among the scvs harvesting minerals before his mutalisks arrived.

And focus fire. Another nice thing!

Michael said...

thanks for the help! Ya know, criticizing a player (or yourself) in starcraft is much easier to do than playing it yourself lol.

I've realized that my timing isn't entirely down, but I've only been playing like two games a week. I just need to play more :-D

I'll be sure to leave comments telling you what you did wrong on your next replay you put on your blog! :-)

Fafner said...

Yeah it sure is easier. But sometimes engaging in a discussion can help. And you are welcome to comment on my games as well.